Saturday 25 January 2020

Anxious dogs


Dogs that are anxious or worried are sadly often labelled as "stupid". But unless a dog is relaxed, she won't be able to learn.



Freya will usually follow me around the house as soon as I move. She finds it really difficult to not follow me and it could very easily escalate into separation distress! 

We have been practising, one step at a time, me moving away while she doesn't move! We use a simple hand signal and literally do one step each time, slowly building up the distance, setting her up to succeed. 

Today, I was able to ask her to Stay while we were outside, using just the hand signal we have been practising inside.

Unless we tackle the underlying anxieties and stress, dogs are not able to learn. We no longer teach obedience, we teach life skills and being relaxed and staying where she is, is very much a life skill for Freya.


Suzanne Clothier tells us to ask the elemental questions. 
If your dog is unable to do what is asked of him, check the following:

How is this for you? 
Can you?
May I?
Can we?



and above all,  be patient and set him up to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment